Saturday, September 12, 2009

Our Life.

One of these days, while thinking about universities and where I was going for my winter break, I got into an interesting conversation. Why does our life always have to be shaped according to the future? Right now for example, I would rather be meeting new people, than learning my monologue for theatre, or writing my TOK. But all my decisions, are made depending on what is best for me in the long run, I need to have good grades, so the best for me is to study.
“Carpe Diem”, does anyone these days follow this ideology? That is a really difficult question to answer, because saying “No”, would be overlooking a few of the people who actually follow it. However in MUWCI, I think that no one follows this. Everyone here, is either looking forward to meet someone in the future, thinking what actions would be the best to achieve good grades to enter into good colleges, or thinking about what are they going to do when they go back or where are they going to travel in winter.
Humans these days, live their life, either in the future or in the past, either thinking on the “what would have been” or “in ... I will...”. That frustrates me, because I feel that I’m being so hypocritical with myself, I always said before to all of my friends, live life right now, in the present, but in this moment, I can’t, even though I want to, there are other forces that take me back and keep me thinking about my future, about how I need to study and achieve a good grade to get a scholarship. And while thinking about that, I get even more annoyed, because then I think, and after that? Is the living in the future over? And i realize that it is not, because then I have to have good grades in universities, so I can graduate, and then I have to find a job, and I have to be good at that job so I can get promotions, because if not my life would be a routine, and everything would be the same, everyday. Then I would start looking for a family, and when I find “the” person, we would start thinking about our wedding. So then, I believe that it’s almost impossible to live life, in the present, to be like Nietzsche wants us to be, because we live in a society, that is structure in a way, that you have to aim goals, and all your life, revolves around them, and that somehow, limits our freedom, so therefore, we are prisoners of our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment